PTProtect: "0 discs left" appears even though the dongle is connected -or- the three free protections were never available. "0 discs left" was displayed immediately after installing PTPublisher 1.3.0. or higher (Windows Vista / 7 / 8 Only).
Method 1: Turn off User Account Control (UAC)
UAC can interfere with detection of free protection burns or protection burns on a USB dongle. Follow these steps to disable UAC.
1. Click the Start (Windows logo) button and navigate to Control Panel.
2. Click User Accounts and Family Safety.
3. Click on User Accounts (looks like the title but is actually a link).
4. Click on Turn User Account Control On or Off.
5. Uncheck Use User Account Control to help protect my computer.
6. Click OK. Reboot the computer to make this change active.
Method 2: Disable UAC with Registry Editor (Regedit) in Windows 7/8 (Try this if Method 1 fails to resolve the issue).
1. Run Registry Editor (RegEdit) by typing regedit at command prompt or at Start Menu -> Run
2. Locate following registry key:
3. Locate the following REG_DWORD value:
4. Set the value of EnableLUA to 0.
Optional steps to suppress UAC permission prompt dialog:
1. Locate the following REG_DWORD value:
2. Set the value of ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin to 0 (optional). Now Exit from Registry Editor and Restart the computer.