There are only three reasons for a defective cartridge:
1. Clogged nozzles. (Banding / poor quality)
2. Mixing Colors (Colors are different from one cartridge to the next)
3. Cartridge not recognized (Not able to print)
1. Clogged nozzles can usually be fixed by the cleaning procedure explained below. You may have to repeat the cleaning procedure more than once. If the cartridge still does not work, the cartridge is probably defective.
2. Mixed Colors can be diagnosed before you even put the cartridge in the printer by the same cleaning procedure described below. Check for red, yellow, and blue when you manually clean the cartridge. If the colors look different from one cartridge to the next you'll know that the cartridge is defective. If the colors appear to be correct after the manual cleaning, then the colors are mixing at some other point in the printing process. See the first article below.
3. If the electronics (copper area) on the cartridge are damaged it may not be recognized by the printer. This is easy to diagnose. Simply try another cartridge. If the new cartridge works but the old one doesn't, the first cartridge is probably defective. To be sure, clean the copper contacts on the cartridge and the cartridge carrier. Try the cartridge again.
Clean the Cartridge. If the cartridge has not been used for some time it is possible that the inkjet nozzles may dry out. Remove the cartridge from the printer and follow this procedure to manually clean the cartridge. (Does not apply to LX900, LX1000 or LX2000)
1. Fold a paper towel several times and completely saturate it with warm water. Do not squeeze out excess water from the paper towel.
2. Press the cartridge nozzles to the wet paper towel for 1-5 seconds.
3. Tap the top of the cartridge firmly with your fingers.
4. Repeat until all three colors are visible on the paper towel.
Watch this Video for a demonstration of the cleaning process.
If none of these apply, you may have an issue that can be explained by something other than a defective cartridge. Check the following articles regarding quality problems with ink cartridges to see if they apply to you:
- The ink in the color cartridge is mixing or the first few passes of printing are lighter than the rest. (Cleaning the Maintenance Station)
- The ink in my new cartridge has leaked inside the packaging.
- Labels are printing with poor quality or missing colors. (LX900)
- Discs are printing with poor quality or missing colors. (4100 Series)
- Print Quality Guide for the Primera LX1000/LX2000 Color Label Printer.
- Discs are printing with poor quality or poor color matching, streaks, banding, or missing colors. (BravoPro or XRP Only)
- Labels are printing with poor quality, poor color matching or missing colors. (LX800-810 Only)
- Labels are printing with poor quality or poor color matching, streaks, banding, or missing colors. (LX400-LX500)
- Discs are printing with poor quality, poor color matching, streaks, banding, or missing colors. (Bravo, Bravo II, Signature Only)
If you think your cartridge is defective, please contact tech support for additional troubleshooting, which may lead to cartridge replacement.
Ink Replacement Policy:
- Primera will replace any cartridge that has been diagnosed as defective by Tech Support. (There is no expiration date on this warranty)
- All replacements for defective cartridges must be processed through Tech Support.
- To receive replacement cartridges, you may be required to send in your defective cartridges.
- Tech Support will perform the cleaning procedures and tests mentioned above on all cartridges received.
- Tech Support will weigh all cartridges received. They will not replace empty cartridges.
- Replacements will be shipped via ground shipping. If you need a speedy replacement of a cartridge we recommend purchasing the cartridge and choosing the shipping speed that you require. The replacement process is not designed for speed. That is why we highly recommend that you purchase extra cartridges and have at least one back up cartridge on hand at all times. This makes it very easy to troubleshoot a cartridge problem and ensures that your business will continue uninterrupted.